A Forest’s Sanctuary

While at a glance this is no more than a large sprawling plain filled with the odd small forest or grove, should someone turn their eyes to the sky they will see much more. Inexplicably floating islands dot the horizon of this large expanse, casting their shadows over the valleys, trees and grassland below.
Drāke Cliffell
Character Location: STS Genesis-02
Roster: Click Here
Purchase Log: Click Here

A Forest’s Sanctuary

Post by Drāke Cliffell » 19 Oct 2019, 10:57

Not now, please just this bit more. Come on, come on God’s name please. Come on, I can see it please not yet.

As Sam and Drāke turned around the vines began to turn to them. The vines turned and tried to impale them. Drāke had luckily jumped as they flew at him dodging most of them. He revved mid-air cause spin to occur. He move slightly helped him avoid them. As he landed he hit the ground with a spur of sand, thrown a cloud of sand into the air. Enough that it could have been seen from the air but was not big enough to blind anyone as he was too far from anyone.

Drāke was almost in the clear as the vines made as a last attempt to hit them, as the vines flew at them once again Drāke watched his left and managed to dodge them all, or so he had thought for that split second. But as he was dodging to his left he didn’t look to his right and one vine flew and sliced his arm not too deep but enough for Drāke to feel it terribly. This made him go even faster to get away.

As Drāke drove he speed up to his top speed reaching around 80 mph before maxing out. He looked at the cut on his arm it was bleeding, not too badly so he knew it didn't hit a major artery, that was the best part, though it was still bleeding he could maybe got another 3 or 4 hours before he needed to patch it up and probably 2 or 3 hours before it got infected, and who knows what diseases exist here. Not only did that have minimized his time but his bike from the looks only had 3 or 4 hours left before it died and 2 or 3 before it slowed itself down.

As he ran through the beach he was going nearly his top speed for the most part though it was more risky he was glad he knew how to drive this thing otherwise he would have hit into too many crystals and scrap. As he was riding he noticed that now he had a clear section with no crystals till, that forest! Thank God! Praise God! wait… Unfortunately though, this forest was a jungle, Drāke hadn’t the time nor the ability to deal with a jungle. Especially not right now he had to be very careful.

As he entered the jungle the land was less than smooth. There was a lot to watch out for; trees, shrubs, roots, bushes, and bugs, God what kind of bugs would he find. As he rode he was still going at his top speed for the most part, the bike was taking the terrain well luckily, and he was avoiding the trees, they weren’t as dense as he was expecting. As he rode through he got maybe a mile into it before he got really stuck into a dense jungle, not very easy to navigate but he needed to get through, he rode slower to make sure he didn’t die to a splat, he kept going around 50 or 60 mph, and he kept his focus on the trees.

As he ran through he continued to go as fast as he could, he managed to pass through about another 4 miles of trees, before it got very very dense. The trees were only about 3 feet if not less apart. Not only was time against him but now so was space, it was getting cramped. How did the trees even grow this way? Only God knew at this point. But he couldn’t question at this point. He was riding through luckily now bugs or bad creatures had messed with them, but now that it came to his attention, why hadn’t he heard any birds? or any type of creature? He noticed it was quiet, too quiet. He knew this was an alien planet but there was fertility, so there had to be water, at least of some kind nearby. He tried listening then he heard what he really didn’t want to.

As Drāke drove he saw and opening, a grand forestry opening, a large empty sky view with dense trees almost forming a wall it seemed. He didn’t stop though he drove right through not even paying mind to the hump in the centre. As he rode over the hump he felt the ground shake and as he looked behind him as he saw him the ground split and a giant pink bud brought itself from the ground before it sprouted large vine tentacles that grabbed onto the trees and pulled it forward. And has it turned to him he had slipped into the trees, the plant tore itself through and came down towards him spitting out these pink pellets. He dodged most of them.

The plant had chased him for about an hour before a man had hit the creature with a gold and silver sword which drove it away. Thank God, whoever that was I will give him my thanks later. Well guess he would have to figure that out. But for at least right now, he needed to get out of this jungle… CLIFF!

Right as he had wished for it he nearly fell off a cliff into a foggy falls. He looked up and saw a… an… Floating Island! Drāke was distraught, dumbfounded, flabbergasted. How is the world did that happen how did gravity allow this. This world was going to take him a long time to understand. But on the other end of this cliff was, oh to God's holy name, it was a forest.

As Drāke rode over to the other end of the gorge. He slipped into the trees and rode for another few minutes before he found a good open spot, but this opening was weird. It was peaceful, oddly peaceful but in a good way. Drāke felt at sanctuary here, like this was a place for people to rest in the event of danger, a place to build up and move on. He stopped and rested his bike, he felt the breeze wave over him as he stepped of and listened to the birds in the trees, strange they sounded exactly like when he was in Swëdæn. Well either way he felt like this was a good place to charge up, and good thing too.

As he got off the bike Drāke took a moment to look behind him to see if Sam had truly followed him and managed to keep up.
Last edited by Drāke Cliffell on 19 Oct 2019, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Darkhon
Definitely not an F key
Character Location: Kruheia's Isles

Re: A Forest’s Sanctuary

Post by Sam Darkhon » 20 Oct 2019, 18:18

Sam followed behind Sam. Due to his following location behind Drāke, he had time to prepare for the vines that tried to impale the two bikers. Dodging to the side of the sharpened tip, Sam began following Drāke closer, taking his pistol out and shooting at the next vine. The gamble payed off, and the vine recoiled from the blast that scorched the impact, the blast made red as it traveled through the atmosphere of the planet. Sam saw the vines that made the final attempt of killing them both, and he also dodged to the left, managing to dodge the vine that slashed Drāke due to its focus being on Drāke. Having had time to accelerate, his bike began slowly overtaking Drake before he matched the speed.

The crystals and scrap were not the main threat though, the upcoming forest was. Drāke obviously knew what he was doing though, so Sam closed the gap and followed him, weaving and dodging through the trees. As they thickened up, Sam slowed his bike down, and preyed Drāke knew what he was doing. If he didn’t know what they were doing, they could both get killed. After a while of following through incredibly dense jungle and bumpy terrain that his rear wheel probably wasn’t liking, they shot into a clearing and Drāke crushed some sort of green and pink plant bulb of some sort. As soon as he did that, a roar seemed to echo from deep under ground and a living pink bulb monster erupted out of the ground before launching more of the living vine tendrils.

The plant charged forward, somehow not ripping up the trees that the tendrils attaches to. Dodging to the side, Sam could see its back was a writhing mass of root like projections. Was the bulb Drāke crushed it’s offspring? It certainly wasn’t the weirdest thing they had seen so far on this planet. However, Sam was dragged out of his pondering as the dead tree beside him seemed to explode in a shower of spinters, the dead wood not being able to withstand the force of the grasper slamming into it. Although they didn’t penetrate, the larger splinters had a high amount of kinetic force behind them. Sam was sure he would have a bruise after this was all said and done, but that wasn’t important right now. They just had to escape from the plant monster. He thought he had seen the thing before, but he couldn’t quite place it. Anyway, it wasn’t important right now. After about 45 minutes of dodging and weaving, the bulb shattered and fell behind. Hoping for the best, his hopes were dashed as a storm of pink petals heralded it’s return. Dodging most of the storm, one petal pierced his vest and got stuck. Hopefully it wasn’t venomous. Catching glimpses of Drāke through the trees, he angled his course to catch up. Afterwards, the bulb stopped chasing them, but he didn’t know why. Ahead of him, Drake stopped suddenly, so Sam did as well, swinging his wheel around to drag into the soil. That was one advantage of the rear wheel being metal. When it dug in, it dug in HARD. Looking around, he noticed a floating... island? How was that even possible?! Drākes motor brought him back to reality, and he followed as they rode around the gorge and into the forest. This time the forest was more peaceful, and Sam stopped in the clearing after Drāke did. Sam couldn’t tell any real significance to the clearing, but it was a good a spot as any. Turning off his bike, he tried plucking the sharp petal from the gap in his armor, but it didn’t budge. “Hey Drake, do you have any ideas for getting this petal out of my armor?”
Out of context quotes:
“We have giant anacondas meandering around while psychically blogging every thought in their mind.”
“Literally jam the planetary defense cannons with their own bodies.”
“Who needs ethics? It’s just liberation.”

Drāke Cliffell

Post by Drāke Cliffell » 22 Oct 2019, 18:20

How the hell? What is that thing? Hmm.

He walked over to the same after setting down his own things, Drāke walk over towards Sam, looking over the petal, what was it. The thing was massive yet it somehow had this small petal? Well either way he had to at least attempt to get it out. “Do you mind if I try to pull it out?” As Drāke asked his question Sam nodded. Drāke looked over it taking a hold of the petal and attempting to yank the think out. But, to no avail. It was stuck bad, maybe he could shoot it off, but that would be too much of a risk, so scratch that. Drāke knew it was going to be difficult but then he thought, what if it is built of force? He then tried again but carefully pulled at the petal gently, the petal as slow as he pulled it left the site, and removed itself. He then tossed the thing like a throwing knife into a tree. “Alright now that that is over with. Anyway, time to see what I can make to help me in the future predicament. Plan, find natives, if any, then create good relations, trade, and set down. Once we do that then we can start building, build something to get us off this damned planet and where we were supposed to be, or to back where we came from, Earth. I think we are going to need a shuttle, nuclear powered. But where do we get the resources, from the looks this world hasn’t progressed much but who the hell knows. Time is on our side so long as those creatures didn’t see us or think us a threat, or both. But still, we need to steer clear of that Haley, and the other girl Alexis, I get a bad vibe from her. Lets just hope that they don’t cause too much trouble.” Drāke meant what he said, he didn’t really like either of the two, them two didn’t exactly give Drāke the right impression, but maybe he was wrong, oh how he wished he was.

Drāke went back to what he was doing he spread the scrap that he had picked up, it was a good amount. Let’s see, microchips that's good, some metallic parts nice. Wiring, nano-gorwires, that's excellent. And what is this? A programing holographic chip nice. neuro-membranous tech, brilliant I could really use that. And a pre-programmed, neuro-program, holographic, membranous compatible, A.I. chip, that is way lucky, had no idea the crew would have something like that, I’ll have to short it and reprogram it, I wonder, is Sam any good with programing, he did say electrical engineering so I believe so. Looks like I could make quite a few simple things with this. he wondered what he could make, he knew an A.I. maybe and automatic charger, and perhaps a, well, maybe a neuro-headpiece. This would be amazing.

Now though would be the moment of truth. Time to see what it was to become.

Sam Darkhon
Definitely not an F key

Post by Sam Darkhon » 23 Oct 2019, 14:12

Sam was surprised at how easily the petal slid out. Especially once Drãke threw it into the tree and it stuck. That required further investigation. Perhaps it could be used to create a primitive tool of some sort? Anyway, probably should figure out a plan for what to do next. When Drãke proposed his plan, Sam thought it made sense, but some things could be done in a slightly different order. “I like the base plan, but I think we should also take stock of what we have and adjust a plan accordingly. Immediately, I see that we have large amounts of wood around us, but no real easy way to harvest it. We don’t have vehicles asides from our bikes, and I have a laser weapon and vibro-dagger, as well as a reactor to charge them. I think the first thing we should do is try to make a temporary shelter and find a food source. Water is also going to be a priority. Thankfully a lot of things that would be poisonous to the natives shouldn’t affect us that much since our cells are very likely fundamentally built extremely different. Alternatively we can put that off and try to macgyver some sort of device that would help us with that.”

Sam knew metal was going to be interesting to obtain for a while, so the second option was not exactly ideal. The only reliable source of it would be the Genesis, and in the exodus from the area, Sam didn’t know where exactly it was. It was also getting to be night time, so whatever they did, they would have to do it soon. As he was thinking about this, he remembered he had a small trey of tools and survival equipment. It was far from a complete survival kit, but at least it was something. Admittedly it couldn’t store much, but at least it held some supplies that would make setting up a camp easier. Getting off his bike and opening the hatch, he pulled out the trey. As expected, the chase with the plant hadn’t done the sorting any good, but at least nothing fell out. Grabbing the windup flashlight, he attached it to his belt before stowing the tray and the matches, closing the hatch as he did so. “I have a flashlight, so we should be able to at least see once it gets dark, which it seems like it will be soon.”

Seeing Drãke taking an inventory of the electronics pulled from the Genesis, Sam began thinking. Without a computer, he wouldn’t be able to change the code, but it looked like Drãke held an AI core. If they could power it, the AI might be able to assist them. “You have a computer we might be able to load the AI onto? I can provide all the power we will need, at least until we start getting more advanced equipment, assuming we ever do.”
Out of context quotes:
“We have giant anacondas meandering around while psychically blogging every thought in their mind.”

Drāke Cliffell

Post by Drāke Cliffell » 28 Oct 2019, 18:20

Let's see how are we going to do this.

He knew they had time, and same did have the power. Ok this is going to hurt let’s figure this out. Drāke would grab out the bangadges and covered the cut that he was zoning out about. He turned to Sam and he didn’t think he was a fainter at the sight of blood but he was about to do something even Drāke found gross, so he simply stated, “Ok Sam, I’m about to do something really fucking disgusting to this arm, so if you want to turn and do your own thing, maybe get out that powering stuff. I suggest you do that now.”

Sam would look at him curiously before he would take the idea and turn to do his own thing.

Drāke would breath heavy knowing what was about to happen, he prepared himself mentally and physically before reaching under the arms and feeling till he felt his thumb run over the button. Drāke hesitated knowing what was about to happen but he pressed the button. This was the amputations button, it was only meant to be pressed in an emergency. It was brutally painful thanks to the neuro-mechanics. Drāke felt every inch of it. As the machinery pull itself away he felt it remove from the veins and nerves cause brutal pain to flood him, Drāke groaned and grunted trying to get through it. He new to keep the arm in place till the retraction was complete. If he did, he could not only bleed out but cause permanent nerve damage as well as other things. As the machinery would finish up it’s painful procedure he felt it complete and he would pull it away.

He would have to keep himself from passing out, he would fade in and out but he knew that if he lost consciousness he would have a worse time. As he pulled it, he felt the blood begin to pour, he place down the arm quickly and then grabbed up the bandages and wrapped it quickly. He then allowed himself to calm and he breathed deeply. “We should find a place to drink soon. And something to eat.”

Now was the time for the innovation to start.

Sam Darkhon
Definitely not an F key

Post by Sam Darkhon » 30 Oct 2019, 14:13

Sam was confused as to what Drake was doing, but he figured Drake knew what he was doing. As such, he went over to their little pile of scrap, and grabbed some wires as well as a computer chip. He knew how to open his gun, having done some... less than entirely legal modifications with some of his undercity friends. The safety switch definitely was not manufacturer standard, as one of Sam’s friends had added some additional slots to it before he left. Sam would bless him, but Sam wasn’t entirely sure if they were still alive. Flipping the switch to the off position, the guns display died, the battery no longer connected to the gun. Next, he opened the side hatch with an audible click, revealing one of the modifications to the world. The heat fins had been taken out, replaced with a smaller array that made more efficient use of the space. Using some of the metal plates, Sam could expand the fins slightly, assuming he had a way to attach them after cutting them down to size. Without the casing hiding the interior, the beauty of the focusing matrix was also revealed, the gems sparkling in the evening light. Closing the port again, he looked over and saw Drake’s arm on the ground. On that slightly disturbing note, Sam turned back towards drake. “Want some help with the arm? Without a machine shop, I can’t do much, but I should be able to help with some of the more basic tasks like running wires and servos more efficiently. Also I think I might have an idea for the arm. Do you need the whole arm or would it be possible to rig a mechanism so the base stays permanently attached and the rest comes off? If so, you won’t have to deal with the bleeding issue you seem to have.” As he said this, Sam realized they would need to get a shelter, and without a solid fix on the Genesis’ location, they would not be able to easily salvage pieces from it. They knew how far away it was, just not really what direction it was in.
Out of context quotes:

Drāke Cliffell

Post by Drāke Cliffell » 07 Nov 2019, 02:00

if he can help with my arm? No it is my arm I will deal with it!

Drāke turn to Sam, with a look that meant only hatred, though he had none, Sam probably wouldn’t think such. “Absolutely not!” Drāke nearly shouted at Sam. It was his arm, it was his belonging, he didn’t trust Sam right now, as thanks to Haley. But he didn’t need some help, he couldn’t exactly move from the ground. “But, I do need some water and some food, if we could have enough to last us another night or two, and then another day for when we move on. We don’t know this planet, we should do everything we can to prepare for it though, God only knows what evolution has done to this planet’s inhabitants.” Drāke spoke more calmly, as he knew outburst and temper tantrums would do nothing. “And seeing as it would be unwise right now for me to move, would you mind handing me your reactor?

Sam nodded, he handed Drāke the reactor carefully into his right hand, which Drāke was thankful for, he knew what would happen if he tried to move quite yet. Especially since they haven’t eaten or drank for a while, he was used to the no food or water for a while, and the cryo-pods gave him the resources to survive the long sleep. Sam then walked towards the sound of a stream and Drāke had asked.

Once Sam had disappeared, Drāke started to work. He plugged his arm to the reactor letting it charge very quickly. But the arm itself stayed dorment. As Drāke begin to work, he opened up the arm’s core wiring. He never tinkered with it much except to make it a bit more proficient.

Drāke using tools he had for first aid to open up the wires, he grabbed over the flashlight he had and held it with his mouth, he saw the wiring and such, he knew he would need space to apply the things he needed, and the detach function was a good idea. He felt around the arm until he found the disconnect function button, he pressed it and the upper arm that had the neuro-anatomic-engineering disconnected, luckily successfully. Drāke then proceeded to make the base for the mechanics of the neural engineering. He was glad Sam had come up with the idea, he had never even thought of it. He then went to work with the A.I. chip he found. If he could short it just right he wouldn’t need to reprogram it, it would just return to factory default, which he hoped was still helpful. He brought over the two wires that he had attached to the bike. He would rather short his bike that the nuclear reactor. He layed one of the wires on the circuitry very very carefully. A spark or two flew he had lifted it not even a sec after the tap. He was in luck he didn’t fry the system. Thank God! He slowly placed the chip into the arm and wired it up, the arm had a small, but loud enough speaker, that should allow the A.I. to speak. Plus if it has membranous-programming, that could be very very helpful. He finished the wiring and let the arm process it.

The Arm spurred loading it’s new resident. Drāke let it process for a moment. Before it spoke. “Hello, Hej, Selut, Hallo. Language Request, Sprachanfrage, Demande de langue, Språk Begäran.” The arm was twisting through it’s languages. Drāke nearly jumped up with joy, he was legitimately happy that he hadn’t destroyed the chip.

“Language, English.” Drāke made sure to speak clearly, as this was the first interaction with it. He knew he needed to be careful as not to break the already now fraggle device.

“Language choice… English. Programming… Program comple-le-le-le-le… Memory log corrupted, programming corrupted… returning to factory settings. Process Started… process completed.” Drāke was half panicking. He had shorted it successfully, but the programming was off, oh dear. But this was ok, because it seemed to be working itself out, thankfully. “Factory Settings fulfilled. Please wait for settings to be processed and set up for proper usage.” Drāke sigh, glad that he had not broke it.

Drāke then decide that a holographic display would be good, and allow communication as well. That would be nice. He grabbed one of the chips, it seemed to be a holographic one, with some programing, probably meant for the ship as it came from the main control panel. As he opened up the wrist he saw that some wires need a small bit of repair, he grabbed over the tools and fixed it up, as well as opening up some space, he placed the array carefully and finely. As he did so he grabbed some scrap and made a small 3-D4 holographic projection lens. As he closed up the wrist he knew now he would just have to wait for the A.I. to finish it’s processes. He know he could also make a sort of anatomic recharger he would need to make it carefully. Now then to work.

He grabbed up some wires and scrap making a sort of artificial blood vein. Drāke know anatomy quite will, it could make him very dangerous with a hand to hand combat, and very helpful in a medical setting. As he made this intricately making arteries and veins he made one to lead up to the A.I. allowing it to charge with it. He slowly implanted the mechanical viens laying the framework and moving it like wires through the arm. This would alone it to charge well, but unfortunately he would need to equal out the amount of sleep he got with how much work he did. He laid it full through, so it would work just like the veins in the real thing. It was difficult do to the fact that these were tiny cords as are the real veins.

Finally, that should be the true hard parts of the main arm completed.